George IV kingwood and gilt table attributed to Morel and Seddon
George IV Kingwood Tripod Table
Very fine George IV period kingwood and giltwood table, the bookmatched hkingwood veenered top with gilt bronze banding over giltwood shaft with carved lotus leaf design and standing on tricorn base with giltwood scrolled feet, attributed to Morel and Seddon.
Morel & Seddon were the principal suppliers of furniture and furnishings to George IV (1762–1830) during his refurbishment of Windsor Castle. The French cabinet-maker Nicholas Morel (along with his previous partner Robert Hughes) had first worked for George IV when he was Prince of Wales, supplying furniture to both Carlton House and the Royal Pavilion, Brighton in the 1790s. In 1826 he was appointed to furnish the new royal apartments at Windsor Castle. Morel dissolved his old partnership and in 1827 went into business with George Seddon, whose established family firm was probably the only one large enough to cope with this immense commission.
|Dimensions||22.5 × 22.5 × 29 in|